Spring Lawn Repair
Early Spring is ideal for planting grass seed for starting new lawns or repairing lawn damage from the winter. The Great Big Greenhouse recommends the following steps for creating a beautiful green lawn.
Prepare the soil
Bare Spots and New Lawns
- Remove all debris from planting area
- Add 1" of Orgro ( one cubic yard of Orgro will cover approximately 300 sq.ft. inch deep)
- Rake smooth
- Mow lawn as short as possible
- Rake throughly to remove thatch
- Aerate lawn to allow better air and water penentration into soil
Fertilize planting area
- Use Pennington Lawn Starter or Scotts Lawn Starter per label recommendation
- Apply Fast Acting Lime 30 pounds per 5000 square feet
Select and planting seed
- Select grass seed based on light and traffic
- Spread seed evenly with a broadcast spreader
- Gently rake, working seed into soil about 1/4"
- Water daily to keep soil moist
- Do no allow top 1/2" of soil to dry out until seedlings have fully emerged
- Once grass becomes established , reduce watering to 1/2" twice a week.